Q: How long does it take to be approved? A: Typically, a center can be approved within 30 days. Q: Is there special training required? A: New centers are required to attend “Record-Keeping” and “Meal Service” training. Q: What is the minimum enrollment required to begin application process? A: Centers must have a minimum of 15 - 20 children enrolled before beginning the application process. Q: How is my reimbursement rate determined? A: The USDA establishes reimbursement rates annually effective July 1st.  A center’s individual blended reimbursement rate is determined by enrollment and number of meals served. Q: How do I get paid? A: Reimbursements are paid by direct deposit. Q: What meals do I get paid for? A: Centers may claim up to 2 meals and 1 snack OR 2 snacks and 1 meal per child, per day. Q: Does CCFP provide the food? A: No.  Centers provide the meals and CCFP reimburses centers for meals served. Q: Can I use my own menus? A: CCFP provides centers with standard menus however, if a center has food prep limitations, custom menus can be developed. Q: If I do not have a kitchen, can I still participate in CCFP? A: Yes.  Your meals will need to be catered. CCFP will conduct the competitive bid process for you. Q: If I am currently being catered, can I keep the same caterer? A: Only caterers registered with DOH, Bureau of Child Nutrition Programs are allowed to provide meals to centers participating in CCFP. Q: I only provide a morning snack and afternoon snack.  Would I still qualify to participate? A: Yes.  Centers may claim up to 2 meals and 1 snack OR 2 snacks and 1 meal per child, per day. Q: I have infants enrolled in my center.  Will I get reimbursed for infant meals? A: Yes.  Centers are reimbursed for meals served to ALL children (including infants) from birth through 12 years. Q: I am a non-profit center.  Do I qualify for participation in CCFP? A: Yes. Q: How long has Cornerstone been a CCFP sponsor? A: Cornerstone has sponsored centers in the CCFP program since 2001.  
USDA Non-Discrimination Statement In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.